Task 3 - Rotation of experiments
Task is: in your class groups
Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes (5 minute discussion at the end)
***Each activity should take 20 minutes***
These activities are based around materials and substances that are reversible and irreversible.
Each group member will need one of each print outs in the RESOURCES tab.
Activity 1 - Rusting Wire EVERYONE MUST START WITH THIS ACTIVITY!
• 5 small jars with lids
• Wire Wool
• Water & Boiled water
• A pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- Line up 5 small glass jars and put a bit of wire wool in each jar.
- Mark or label your glass jars as 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 so that you can write down what you have put in each one.
- Pour some water into your first container labelled '1' and put the lid on.
- Pour some boiled water into your second container labelled '2' and put the lid on. PLEASE COLLECT HOT WATER FROM TEACHER!
- Leave your third jar labelled '3' open and exposed to the air.
- Mix some salt with some tap water and pour this into your fourth jar labelled '4' and place the lid on.
- Add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda in your fifth jar labelled '5' and place the lid on.
- Leave your containers for one day.
- Observe your jars after all the other activities are done.
Activity 2 - Wet and Cold Can
- 1 glass jar with a lid
- 10 ice cubes
- Cold water
- Put about ten ice cubes and some cold water into a dry jar, and put the lid on.
- Predict what will happen to the outside of the jar.
- What happens?
- Do you know why it happens?
Activity 3 - Cooling and Heating a Coin
- 1 glass jar with a long neck
- Cold water
- Hot water
- 50 cent coin
- Place the long neck of the jar into the cold water.
- Place cold water into the jar.
- Place the coin on top of the opening and leave it their for 2 minutes.
- After that, place the long neck of the jar into boiling water.
- Place boiling water into the jar.
- Place the coin on top of the opening and leave it there for 2 minutes. CAUTION THIS MAY BE HOT!
Visit website, watch video and then do experiment:
Activity 4 - Burning Paper
This activity will be done by the teacher!
- Sheets of paper
- 2 steel pots
- Watch Mrs Russell light the piece of paper on fire.
- Record findings on the worksheet.
Students, please complete a peer assessment on your group members - link provided in resources